Thursday, January 26, 2012

Quick Image

This week I tried my hand at leading a quick image with my 3rd graders. I was going to teach 9's multiplication but because we ended up having a snow week, the week before I didn't feel confident teaching it, so I asked to do a quick image instead.My cooperating teacher said, that was fine and that it is hard to teach something when you have not seen any of the other lessons taught before. I felt much better after talking to her because I have noticed that it is extremely hard to teach twice a week and plan a week ahead of time because we don't get to see what happens in the classroom prior to the days we are there. But I know that it is only for a short while and I am very happy to be getting the experience I am teaching the lessons when I can.  I chose to use the quick images that had groups of 2's and 5's because the students had just learned their 2's and 5's multiplication and division. My students really enjoyed the quick image activity and had fun doing them, I followed the steps in order to do a quick image with the class, and I made sure to have a few students explain their thinking, they all talked about grouping the dots and then either adding or multiplying which is exactly how we want them to think about the images.

I am hoping to be able to do another quick image next week when I teach the students a math lesson on multiplying 4's, I will probably use a quick image having the number 9 as part of the multiplier because my students just learned their 9's multiplication, so it will be a great assessment to see if they know their 9's. I am also excited do the quick image activity because they are learning about quick arrays which is basically the quick image itself. The quick image is a fun activity and I can't wait to keep doing them with my math lessons because they work so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment